Japanese Language Instructor
Title: Japanese Language Instructor
Reports to: Executive Director, and Language Programs Manager
Status: Part Time
Work schedule: Evening, Day time, or Weekends
Application Deadline: Open until filled
About the Organization:
The Japan-America Society of Dallas/Fort Worth (JASDFW) furthers mutual understanding and ongoing engagement between Japanese and Americans. We provide quality programs in arts and culture, education, business, public policy, and international exchange, and create opportunities for friendship and meaningful interaction. The Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2020 and it is a member of the National Association of Japan-America Societies (NAJAS), headquartered in Washington DC, which links 38 local Japan-America societies. JASDFW is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
The Japanese language Instructor will teach Japanese courses/workshops for adults and children offered three to four times a year at the Japan-America Society Dallas/Fort Worth. Our current program offers 8-week beginning level online sessions (meeting once a week), and we are looking into expanding more with upper-level courses, intensive Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) preparation courses and a youth class (For more details about our current Japanese Language Program: https://jasdfw.org/japanese-language-class/). The successful candidate will also work with the Executive Director and Language Programs Manager to determine the potential for in-person language instruction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching classes, once or twice per week for different levels and/or adults and children, dependent on class demand and balanced work schedule.
- Preparing and customizing lesson plans, handouts, homework, and developing content to meet student needs in language classes, which may include beginner’s, intermediate, and advanced students.
- Maintaining regular correspondence with program manager as needed via email for future scheduling, course updates, professional development meetings, etc.
- Participating in instructor meetings about pedagogy, lesson plans/activities, curriculum designs and assessments.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum 1 year of Japanese language teaching experience in a classroom setting.
- Experience teaching JLPT preparation courses preferred.
- Experience teaching online preferred.
- Comfortable with teaching to diverse and distinct groups, including young students to senior adults.
- Native or fluent language abilities in Japanese, fluent or highly proficient in English, ability to communicate effectively in both languages.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in integrating technology into foreign language teaching and learning.
- Computer skills, including proficiency with Zoom, Google tools, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience recruiting students for language class registration is an asset.
How to apply:
Please email the following to email@example.com
- Cover letter indicating your teaching experience and preferences in relation to the following: 1) adult and/or youth class, 2) what levels or types of classes, and 3) online and/or in-person
- To be submitted prior to interview: A sample lesson plan and/or any lesson materials such as PowerPoints and worksheets that demonstrate your teaching style.
For questions regarding this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org