A life-changing international experience. This week-long exchange program immerses high-school students in another culture. Students travel between Dallas/Fort Worth and Sendai in alternating years, staying with a host family and engaging in leadership, service, and cultural activities. The program cultivates young leaders in both cities — future stewards of the U.S.-Japan relationship.
Students: Travel to Sendai
POSTPONED TO 2021
Be a leader. Be a world traveler. Be a Young Ambassador.
The one-week program includes:
- Homestay with a Sendai family
- Local school visits
- Interaction with city officials
- Volunteer activities
- Tour of famous Sendai locations
- Airfare and all ground transportation in Japan
Applicant must be:
- Dallas/Fort Worth area high school student (in grades 9-11)
- U.S. citizen
Students will be selected based on their ability to be good ambassadors. Applicants should demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, leadership ability, community involvement, international interest, and an open-minded attitude.
Mid February – March
Interviews and final selection
April – June
Orientations and workshops
June – July
Young Ambassadors travel to Sendai
Families: Host a Sendai Student
August 7-14, 2019: Next Opportunity – Summer 2021
Open your heart and home to a Japanese teenager! Young Ambassadors from Sendai rely on the hospitality of host families during their one-week stay in Dallas/Fort Worth.
- Share family life and local culture with your guest
- Contribute to the U.S.-Japan relationship on a grassroots level
- Make a new friend for life
Japan-America Society asks each host family to:
- Provide lodging and some meals
- Provide some local transportation
- Attend the farewell party
- Show your student true Texas hospitality!
We will arrange sightseeing activities for guests during the day on weekdays. Host siblings are encouraged to join in!
Home visits and selection
Young Ambassadors announced
Host family orientation
Young Ambassadors travel to Dallas